Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements wage subsidy
To assist with the recovery from the impact of COVID-19, the Australian Government is providing support to all employers who engage a new Australian Apprentice through the $1.2 billion dollar ‘Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements wage subsidy’.
Commencing today, the 5 October 2020, any businesses or Group Training Organisation that engages an Australian Apprentice may be eligible for a subsidy of 50 per cent of wages paid to an apprentice between 5 October 2020 and 30 September 2021, to a maximum of $7,000 per quarter.
This assistance will support 100,000 new apprentices and trainees across Australia, and is in addition to the Supporting Apprentices and Trainees wage subsidy which is helping small and medium businesses to keep their apprentices and trainees in work and training.
What you need to know
Is my business eligible?
Your business or Group Training Organisation may be eligible if:
- you engage an Australian Apprentice between 5 October 2020 and 30 September 2021, and
- your Australian Apprentice or trainee is undertaking a Certificate II or higher qualification, and has a training contract that is formally approved by the relevant state training authority
How much is the subsidy?
Eligible employers and Group Training Organisations will receive a wage subsidy of up to 50 per cent of your Australian Apprentice’s gross wage paid;
- The wage subsidy is available at a maximum of $7,000 per quarter per eligible Australian Apprentice.
- The subsidy is available for wages paid from 5 October 2020 to 30 September 2021.
Anything else I should know?
- The subsidy is available to employers of any size, industry or geographic location
- The subsidy is capped at 100,000 places
- The subsidy is not available for any apprentice receiving any other form of Australian Government wage subsidy e.g. Supporting Apprentices and Trainees or JobKeeper
Key dates to know
- Payments will be made quarterly in arrears, with first claims for the subsidy available from 1 January 2021.
- Final claims for payment must be lodged by 31 December 2021.
The team at HTN is here to support you with navigating the Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements Wage Subsidy. If you have a specific question please contact us on 1300 139 108 or via this contact form and one of our friendly team members will get in touch.